top of page

Work Permit

Whether you are a Canadian employer who is looking to hire a foreign worker or you have an offer of employment and are looking to apply for a Work Visa/Permit, Nilak Immigration can help you with the processing of your application. There are 3 main pathways to apply for a work visa: open work permits, LMIA based work permits and LMIA exempt work permits. Each category contains numerous subcategories and unique eligibility requirements. 

We will determine the type of work permit depending on your circumstances and personalizing your application to highlight your strengths to increase your chances of getting an approval.

 Nilak Immigration is here to make your journey to Canada as effortless as possible 

3 cups


























Open Work Permit

An open work permit is a work permit that is not job-specific, meaning you will NOT need proof of employment/job offer or a positive LMIA.

Who Can Apply?

  • International students who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program

  • Destitute students who can not meet the cost of their studies (bare in mind this is for students who already possess a valid study permit) 

  • Foreign workers with an an employer-specific work permit who are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to their job in Canada

  • Applicants who have submitted their Canadian Permanent Residency application

  • Dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence

  • Spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student

  • Spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program

  • Refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member

  • Individuals under an unenforceable removal order

  • Temporary resident permit holder

  • Young worker participating in special programs

LMIA based work permit

What is an lmia?

Simply put a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is Government of Canada's approval document giving permission to an employer to hire a foreign worker. A positive LMIA will show there is a need for a foreign worker to fill a certain job as no Canadian worker or permanent resident is available/qualified for it. It also ensures the foreign worker is treated fairly in receiving a salary and benefits that are consistent with federal and provincial standards.

If the employee needs an LMIA, the EMPLOYER must apply for one. After receiving a positive LMIA, the worker can then apply for a work permit.​

We can help Canadian employers in applying for an LMIA as they need to provide evidence that they have attempted to find qualified Canadian citizens or permanent residents to fill their job positions. Additionally employers are subject to compliance inspections after their employee has begun working in Canada. We can also help foreign workers apply for a work permit as they will need to provide: 

LMIA exempt work permits

Although most employers need to apply for an LMIA in order to hire a foreign worker, some exceptions exist. The most common exceptions to this rule are the below categories: 

  • International Agreements

  • Intra-Company Transferees

  • Entrepreneurs/Self-Employed Candidates

  • International Experience canada

  • French-Speaking Skilled Workers

  • Religious Workers

  • Academics

  • Provincial LMIA Exemptions


If you are eligible under LMIA exempt category you are still required to apply and obtain a work permit in order to work in Canada legally.

bottom of page